Real Average Mummy

After years of talking about wanting to write, but being unsure of what to write about, I have decided to start a blog about being a Mum in Hong Kong, for now. A real, average, run of the mill Mum, trying to get through every day, sometimes washing my hair and occasionally feeling like I have my sh*t together.

I became a mum five and a half months ago and it is truly the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me. "Amazing" for a multitude of reasons, which I am sure I will write about at some point in the near future. But, mostly amazing because... well, f*ck me, it is the single hardest thing I have ever done.

In the midst of the Harvey Weinstein scandal and discussions about the gender pay gap filling the news, I feel even more acutely aware of the pressures on women to be something - sexual beings, domestic goddesses, mothers, quiet! And for a long time, I was NONE of those things. To clarify, I am still only one. Surrounded by mixed messages and pictures of "perfect" women doing yoga, with a fresh manicure, whilst their baby reads Shakespeare and their houses look immaculate, I again felt like a failure. These images, blogs and articles have their place but I didn't want to always feel like I had to aspire to be more, when surviving was all I could manage.

So, I turned to my friends and they were real, and normal, and sometimes had their sh*t together. It made me realise the importance of chalking up the wins, no matter how small, and that the vision of "perfect" means nothing to your child and is 100% subjective.

With this, I decided to start this blog in the hope of documenting some of the funny, normal, and occasionally downright boring aspects of life.

#realmummy #chalkingupthewin #fertility #HongKong #hairunwashed

Me and Baby O (2 weeks old). Hair status - unwashed. #realmummy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultimate 7 month survival guide

Getting out of the flat, without losing your sense of humour. Or maybe just a bit.