Getting out of the flat, without losing your sense of humour. Or maybe just a bit.

I have been in Hong Kong for over 7 years and happily talked of its convenience and amazing weather. Now I have Baby O, I have had to rethink this - not because it isn't convenient per se, but that it is absolutely not convenient when you have a buggy with a screaming hungry baby, and you are sweating from your shins, you have no idea how to get to a nursing room, there are no seats and you need to wee.

When I was pregnant I was very oblivious and perhaps a little naive about how much I would be out and about - I was convinced it would easy. Pah! Now, in the cold light of a hot humid day, with a baby who wants feeding, or holding, whilst you also have a nappy bag, buggy, and all of the other paraphernalia required to just exit the house, it is a little more of a chore. Michael McIntyre does a skit on leaving the house with children, and I laughed so hard my pelvic floor nearly let me down!

Now the point of this post isn't to bemoan the set up of HK or the trials and tribulations of having a baby with lots of stuff but instead to give a few anecdotes and tips. #realaveragemummy

One of my first journeys out with Baby O, I decided to brave the MTR and head into Central. I was going to grab a coffee and saunter around with my cute little bundle of joy, basking in a post natal glow. Oh how naive! I have the Babyzen Yoyo stroller and had him in a Maxicosi car seat on top. I did this rather than the baby nest as I thought it would give me the flexibility of jumping into a taxi should I need to. This did, however, mean that the buggy was quite big and cumbersome.

I arrived fairly unscathed and wondered around IFC but then the meltdown began. He was hungry and I had no idea where to go. Panic set in as I looped around and around trying to find a free room and changing table. Swing doors became my nemesis as I didn't have the strength (post C section) to push through with my bottom and pull the buggy through, so I would often have to do a strange push and twist manoeuvre. This added to the sweat and panic, and rage - why won't anyone hold a door?

Now, IFC has some great facilities but there are far too few! And the changing table being in with the nursing room, means that nursing mums feel majorly panicked as other mums pound on the door to get in. I have been both of those Mums. When I finally got into a room and fed him, all was well. But there is nothing like a screaming baby to stop you seeing anything logically or calmly. I popped him back into his chair, happy, fed, clean and then realised I needed to wee. Cue, second panic.

There are no toilets in the nursing rooms,  so you are left with the following options:
1) Hold it. Stay away from the much-needed coffee and lick the condensation off of your water bottle only - not advised;
2) Ask a stranger to watch/hold your baby whilst you pee;
3) Head to the end cubicle, pull the buggy up to the door and pee with the door open;
4) Hold baby on lap/strap them into a sling and pee. Wipe with one hand and attempt to pull up underwear whilst still holding baby;
5) Go to the disabled toilet where there is space for you both! I realised this one after trying all of the above

All in all, a fun first day out...

My top tips for leaving the house with a newborn:

1) Add at least 30 mins to your travel time. Your baby will poop, require a feed, puke down you or a friendly passenger next to you, and this will need dealing with.
2) There are lifts in most stations, but be prepared to deal with a long queue of people (who don't need to use the lift!)
3) Know where the baby changing facilities are. Most malls have at least a basic room with a chair to nurse. My favs are IFC, Princes Building, and Elements.
4) Be ok with chucking in the towel and leaving it until another day! Your friends and other mums will understand.
5) Arrange to meet somewhere baby friendly and let your friends know you will inevitably be late.
6) Take a carrier or sling with you. You can still drink coffee, go for a wee, use the escalator, when baby is happily in there.
7) Travel in packs, or with at least one friend; just having someone else there makes it a lot less stressful.

And remember, if you just get out of the house whether it is for 5 mins or 5 hours, chalk up the win!

#realaveragemummy #chalkingupthewins #newbornbaby #realmummy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ultimate 7 month survival guide

Real Average Mummy